After enjoying the natural beauty of Cappadocia, don’t forget to taste the typical Cappadocia food. Menemen breakfast menu in Turkey that has spices, Menemen made from sliced tomatoes, onions, scrambled eggs, salt and pepper, which is cooked with a little olive oil.
Menemen, or Turkish Ommelette baked with onions and chili are boiled thoroughly with tomatoes and finally mixed with eggs, seasonings, parsley, peppers and red chili Peppers.
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1 small onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup finely diced shishito, Padrón, or Chinese green long pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled ripe fresh tomatoes or drained canned tomatoes
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Minced fresh chives, for garnish (optional; see note)
In a medium nonstick or cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over low heat until barely warm. Add paprika, oregano, onion, and peppers. Season with salt and a very generous amount of black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until deepened in color. Remove half of mixture and reserve.
Return pan to heat and add beaten eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until eggs are just barely set. Immediately remove from heat and gently fold in reserved vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with chives, if using, and serve immediately.