Spicy thai basil chicken (Gai Pad Krapow) is one of the most classic street food in Thailand, Gai Pad Krapow is usually made with ground chicken. Basil leaves used in Thailand are 3 kinds: sweet Basil (horapha), Holy Basil (Kaphrao), and Lemon basil (maenglak). It feels different and each one is used for its own type of cuisine.
- 5–10 Thai chilies, or to taste
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 spur chilies or another mild, red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup long beans, cut into short pieces
- ½ small onion, diced
- 300g chicken, coarsely ground (see video for how to grind your own chicken)
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1½ tsp black soy sauce (or sub dark soy sauce and reduce regular soy sauce to 2 tsp)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- 1 ½ cup holy basil leaves, loosely packed (see note)
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- 2–3 eggs (1 per person)
- Jasmine rice for serving
- Pound Thai chilies into a fine paste.
- Add garlic and spur chilies and pound into a rough paste.
- Combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, black soy sauce, water and sugar; stir to dissolve the sugar.
- In a wok or a large saute pan, saute the garlic-chili paste in a little vegetable oil over medium high heat until the garlic starts to turn golden.
- Add chicken and toss until they’re no longer in big clumps. Add the sauce and continue tossing until the chicken is almost done.
- Add onions and long beans; toss until the chicken is done.
- Remove from heat and stir in the holy basil.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
For the fried egg:
Heat about 1 cm of vegetable oil in a small non-stick pan or a wok over medium high heat.
Once the oil is hot (you want the oil very hot, especially if you like runny yolk), crack the egg directly into the pan and let it fry until the edges are browned and bubbly.
Tags: #Bangkok food recipes #Bangkok street food #best thai recipes #Cooking (Award Discipline) #cooking Thai #cooking Thai food #delicious Thai recipes #easy thai recipes #eating Thai food #Mark Wiens #Migrationology #pad kra pao recipe #Thai basil #Thai basil chicken recipe #Thai basil recipe #Thai chicken recipe #thai food #Thai Food (Cuisine) #Thai food recipes #thai recipe #Thai recipes #Thai street food #Thai street food recipes #ผัดกระเพราไก่