Currywurst Recipe – How To Make Germany CURRYWURST – Bratwurst In Curry Ketchup – What was the first there to mind you guys when asked a question of food typical of Germany? Definitely a Pretzel, Bratwurst, Blackforest Cake, sausages and Beer Pilsner, Germany, already no stranger make you guys. One of the special sausage from Germany (Bavaria) is the Weißwurst. This white sausage made of veal so that the colour is different from sausage.
Currywurst is one of a very popular food that can be enjoyed by many quarters because the price is cheap and tastes that are suitable for the German people with tongue sensation curry seasoning. Currywurst in German means Curry Wurst is German cuisine with main ingredient sausage meat in thin slices, mixed with curry spices. Currywurst is usually served with French fries or bread rolls.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons quality curry powder
- 1 tablespoon quality sweet paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup natural ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon quality Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional, for more heat)
- 4 genuine German bratwursts, bockwurst, rotwurst or weisswurst (see blog post about selecting the right sausages)
- extra curry powder for sprinkling
- French fries or crispy bread rolls (Brötchen) for serving
Instructions Currywurst :
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan and cook the onions just until soft and translucent. Do not brown them. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the curry powder, paprika, cloves and cinnamon and cook for 30 seconds. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use an immersion blender or transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Let the mixture cool completely and then refrigerate for a day before using to allow time for the flavors to meld.
- Makes 1 1/2 cups. The curry ketchup will keep for up to a month in the fridge.HOW TO MAKE CURRYWURST:
- If the sausages are not pre-cooked, first poach them in lightly simmering water. The next step is to grill/fry them to finish them off.
- You can either grill or pan-fry the sausages.
- The important thing is to cook them until they develop a thick and crispy browned outer crust. (So if you’re pan-frying, be sure to use enough oil.) Some curry wurst stands also cut vertical slits along the currywurst to prevent them from bursting open while cooking and then the sausages are sliced along the lines into bite-sized chunks before serving.
- To serve, slice the wursts vertically into bite-sized pieces, top with some curry ketchup, and sprinkle with curry powder. Serve with French fries or a crispy bread roll (Brötchen). Currywurst and fries/Brötchen are served in paper food trays and eaten with currywurst toothpicks.