Gudeg is a traditional Javanese cuisine of Yogyakarta and Central Java, Indonesia. In the process, the community get to know famous gudeg came from Yogyakarta so as to make this city known as the town of Gudeg.
Gudeg is made of raw young jackfruit (Java: gori). Boiled for several hours with Palm sugar, coconut milk and additional spices include garlic, onion, nutmeg, coriander, galangal, bay leaf, and teak leaves, reddish brown color that gives to the cuisine. With a variety of warm, spice mixture into the sweet taste on the tongue and has a distinctive flavor and delicious taste in accordance with Javanese in General. It is often described as “green jackfruit stewed sweet”.
- 6 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas), bruised
- 2 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 1 tea bag of black tea (optional)
- 75 gram palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 500 gram young jackfruit (Indonesian: nangka muda), cut into bite size pieces
- 1 liter coconut milk
- 4 hard boiled eggs (optional)
Grind the following into spice paste:
- 50 gram shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonsian: bawang putih)
- 8 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (Indonesian: biji ketumbar)
Place bay leaves, lime leaves, galangal, lemongrass, tea bag, salt, palm sugar, and spice paste into a soup pot. If you have a claypot big enough to cook this, it will be even better.
Add jackfruit into the pot. Pour coconut milk into the pot, making sure that everything is submerged, bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, add hard boiled eggs (if using), and simmer on the lowest heat setting possible until all liquid is fully absorbed by the jackfruit and eggs. Stir every 30 minutes or so. This process should take about 4 to 5 hours.
Turn off heat, adjust seasoning as needed, some people really like their gudeg to be on the sweet side. Remove all the leaves. Transfer to a serving plate and serve warm or at room temperature.