There are various types of laksa in Singapore – a typical acid is similar to Penang Curry like Laksa Sarawak. But nothing beats the original Singapore Laksa Katong fame.
Katong laksa dishes inspired from Peranakan (Chinese Peninsula) living in the area of Katong. This dish has a spicy soup Gravy with reddish color such as twilight, Sun spiced coconut milk and sprinkled with dried shrimp, as well as materials such as clams, shrimp, and fishcake.
His trademark is a thick vermicelli noodles: the short cut so easily inhaled with a spoon. In several food outlets, you are only given the scoop to eat laksa – without chopsticks.
The flavor is so attractive and so the Katong Laksa to the eastern area and thanks to the franchise and other enterprising laksa stalls imitate the taste, until it reaches every corner of Singapore.
CHILLI PASTE (NOTE 1)
- 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp minced chili from jar or paste , or more Sriracha
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (any plain oil)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Laksa paste (Note 4)
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 garlic clove , minced
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken stock / broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 2 large or 3 medium chicken drumsticks (Note 2)
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 cm / 4/5″ piece of ginger , finely grated*
- 1 lemongrass , white part grated*, reserve stalk (Note 3a)
- 2 birds eye chillis , finely chopped (Note 3b)
- 1/2 cup / 175g laksa paste (Note 4)
- 400 g / 14 oz can coconut milk (Note 5)
- 1 – 2 tsp fish sauce
NOODLES + TOPPINGS:
- 50 g / 1.5 oz vermicelli noodles , dried
- 100 g / 3.5oz hokkien noodles (optional – or use more vermicelli) (Note 6)
- 80 g / 2.5 oz bean sprouts
- 80 g / 2.5 oz tofu puffs , cut in half (Note 7)
- Fresh coriander / cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Crispy fried shallots (Note 8)
- Finely sliced red chilli
- Chilli Paste: Mix ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Chicken Stock: Place the Chicken Stock ingredients in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to simmer then reduce to medium high. Cook for 25 minutes or until chicken flesh is falling off the bone and liquid is reduced to approx 2 cups. Discard skin, pull flesh off the bone and place in bowl, discard bone. Set broth aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or small pot over medium low heat. Add garlic and ginger, sauté for 20 seconds, then add lemongrass and chillis. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add laksa paste. Turn heat up to medium and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, or until fragrant.
- Add chicken stock, coconut milk, 1 tsp fish sauce and 2 tsp of Chilli Paste. Tie the lemongrass stalk into a knot and pop it in too. Place lid on and simmer on for 10 minutes.
- Adjust to taste using lime juice (for sour) and fish sauce (for saltiness).
- Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to packet instructions.
Add tofu puffs into broth.
Divide noodles between 2 bowls. Top with chicken. Pour broth over chicken. Top with beansprouts. Sprinkle with Garnishes you choose to use. Serve with Chilli Paste on the side.