Japan Dessert Recipe: Shibuya Honey Toast – Toast of Japan was called Shibuya toast which could be simultaneously dessert snacks. Minato Shokudo’s honey toast is a typical snack or Japan, comes from the area of Shibuya, Tokyo. Major ingredients of fresh bread-shaped box.
Basically, honey toast is a result of shibuya modification of pastry typical of France, called Pain de Mie that shape and the material is the same.
Interestingly, this toast thick rectangular shape like a brick so people call it the brick bread. This bread is very popular in pastry shops, cafes, and restaurants in Japan, Thailand, Taiwan and Singapore.
- One 4-inch slab milk bread or other soft, unsliced white bread, cut from the end of the loaf (there should be crust on 5 sides)
- 1⁄2 cup assorted ripe berries, pitted cherries, or melon balls
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced crosswise
- 3 tbsp. honey, divided
- 2 scoops vanilla or ginger ice cream
- 1⁄2 cup whipped cream
- Assorted nuts, cookies, and candies for garnish (such as Pocky brand biscuits, wafer straws, mini macarons, mochi, daifuku, matcha truffles, and praline roses)
Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a small bowl, toss the berries with the sugar; set aside to macerate while you prepare the toast box.
Using a serrated knife and starting from the crustless side of the bread, cut a square out of the center of the loaf (do not cut all the way through), leaving a ½-inch border on all four sides and at the bottom crust. Remove the cube and cut into 1-inch pieces. Leave the box intact.
Spread the pieces and the toast box out on the prepared baking sheet and brush them on all sides with melted butter. Bake, turning the pieces occasionally so they brown evenly, until the small cubes are crisp and golden, about 15 minutes. Remove the cubes to the bowl with the macerating fruit, and continue baking the toast box until crisp, about 10 minutes more.
Brush the inside of the toasted bread box with the sweetened condensed milk.
Gently toss the bread cubes with the prepared fruit. Transfer the mixture into the toast box and drizzle with 2 tablespoons honey. Top the toast with ice cream and whipped cream and garnish with cookies, candies, and nuts as desired. Drizzle with the final tablespoon of honey and serve immediately with forks and steak knives.