Indonesian Popular Food – Sop Buntut (Oxtail soup) Simple Recipe – Indonesi – Sop Buntut (Ox-tail soup) is one of the famous dishes in Indonesia. In addition, this dish is also popular in other countries such as China, Korea, and the United Kingdom. It’s just that, in contrast with ox-tail soup served in Indonesia. How the processing of ox-tail soup in Indonesia is almost the same with the sop.
Spices used include cardamom, clove, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Ox-tail soup is also equipped with large chunks of potatoes, carrots, and tomatoes, as well as a sprinkling of green onions and celery. Oxtail beef needs to be boiled twice so that the texture of soft. To save time, you can also use a saucepan presto. For added enjoyment, serve chips along with ox-tail soup, fried onions, and chili sauce.
Sop Buntut Ingredients:
- 1 kilogram oxtail
- 2½ liter water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 250 gram carrot, peeled and cut into 1 inch rounds
- 250 gram potato, peeled and cut into 8 wedges per potato
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tspn ground white pepper
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 10 shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- ½ onion
- Garnish and accompaniments
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 2 Chinese celery, sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Deep fried shallot flakes
- Chili sauce
- 4 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 4 Thai chilies, seeded and thinly sliced
Sop Buntut preparation:
- Boil oxtails and water in a pot. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours or until oxtails are cooked and tender.
- Remove oxtails from the stock and set aside.
- Strain the stock to get a clear broth. Return the broth and oxtails back to the pot.
- In a frying pan, heat oil and sauté spice paste, cinnamon stick, cloves, and nutmeg until fragrant. About 5 minutes. Add this to the pot with broth and oxtails.
- Bring the oxtail and broth back to a boil. Add carrot and potato and season with salt, sugar, and ground white pepper. Reduce heat and cook until carrot and potato are cooked and tender, but still quite firm. About 20 minutes. Adjust salt and sugar as needed.
- Turn off heat, serve the soup with slices of tomato, scallion, and chinese celery.
- prinkle the soup with some deep fried shallot flakes.