Tanghulu or Bingtanghulu is traditional Chinese candied fruit. Candied is usually available in different cities in china , for example beijing , tianjin , and shanghai .Candied fruit are presented by means of pierced the stem of this bruised and in length to about 20 cm .Light meals this can be found along the street in Beijing that sells snacks , namely Wangfujing , or sales help also sometimes sell from door to door.
Tanghulu having a sugar coating that is loud because dipped in sugar syrup .But , now there are also dipped in chocolate or sprinkled sesame .Usually fruit that is used is the hawthorn china , but now also used a variety of fruit the other like cherry tomato , a mandarin orange of a , strawberries , blueberries , the pineapple , a kiwi fruit , banana , or wine:
- 30 hawthorns or strawberries
- 10 skewers
- 4 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup corn syrup or golden syrup
- Prepare 2 baking sheets covered with parchment paper or with silicone mat.
- If using strawberries use a sharp paring knife to first hull the leafy bits. Wash fruit and dry thoroughly until completely dry. Skewer three fruits on each skewer, taking care not to twist them or move them too much so as not to loosen the fruit’s grip on the skewer. If loosened the fruit will swing around when being dipped in caramel, making it hard to evenly coat all sides.
- In a medium saucepan heat the sugar and water. Stir until the sugar dissolves and then add the corn syrup. Bring to a boil, do not stir anymore. Keep at a low boil, swirling the pot occasionally, until it reaches 340°F (171°C) and a golden amber color, about 15-20 mins. Remove from heat. Angle your pan so that the caramel is more accessible and then dip your skewered fruit quickly in and out of the caramel, twisting to get the coating to completely cover the fruit. Be careful of touching the caramel, it’s hot! Place dipped skewers onto parchment paper to cool. If your caramel cools too much while working just reheat over low heat to proper temperature, remove from heat and continue.
- Eat immediately for tastiest results. Can keep at room temp for around 6 hours.