Thailand Food: How To Make Tom Yum Goong Spicy Shrimp – Surely you have heard or processed the delicious soup also feel the origin of State white elephants, Thailand.
The taste is so tempting makes many people love food, this one is also now widely scattered in various locations around the world. the tom yam soup, this is perfect you enjoy at a time when the weather is cold, as when it rains or also in the evening. Lots of types and variations of the tom yam is that you can set as your dinner menu choices.
Of the many types of tom yam is one of the most known is tom yam goong. With the main ingredient of shrimp. Shrimp became the main ingredient because tom yam goong flavors will be delicious and scrumptious.
Tom Yum Goong
- 4 cups of water
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, trim off the very end of the root and smash with the side of a cleaver or chef’s knife; cut into 1-inch pieces, or 2 PC dried
- 3 slices fresh galangal root (smashed) or 2 pc dried
- 3 fresh kaffir lime leave or 4 pc dried
- 1 tbsp. tamarind paste, with or without seeds
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce, Golden Boy brand preferred
- 3/4 lb shrimps, medium to large size, shelled and de-veined; butterfly if desired
- 12 fresh Thai chili peppers, whole or 2 medium sized jalapenos, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips.
- 1/2 small white onion, cut 1/4 inch slices
- 2 tbsp. roasted chili paste (nam prik pao)
- 1 (16 oz.) can straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed
- 1 small ripe tomato, cut into wedges 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small lime, squeezed
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro
Bring water to boil over high heat in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the lemon grass, galangal, kaffir lime leaf, fish sauce and tamarind paste (break apart the tamarind paste with your fingers as you add it). Add the shrimp, bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes. Add the onion, nam prik pao and straw mushrooms. Boil for another 7 minutes until the shrimp is cooked through. Add the chile peppers and tomatoes. Turn off the heat. Add the lime juice. Taste to adjust the seasoning, adding fish sauce to taste. Garnish with cilantro, roasted whole chili peppers and a splash of coconut mix if desired and serve hot.